A to E reporting

All Northern Territory government schools report to parents at least twice a year for Years 1 to 10 using A–E grades.

From 2012, the descriptors for these grades will appear on the front cover of student reports:

A = Evidence of learning demonstrates outstanding achievement at this year level
B = Evidence of learning demonstrates high achievement at this year level
C = Evidence of learning demonstrates sound achievement at this year level
D = Evidence of learning demonstrates limited achievement at this year level
E = Evidence of learning demonstrates very limited achievement at this year level.

Student reports will provide clear information on learner progress to parents/carers each semester on achievement and progress in English, mathematics and for all other areas of learning taught and assessed that semester.

An information flyer has been sent to government schools to be included with the student report.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why are A to E grades required?

It is a condition of Australian Government funding that parents will be provided with a report using a five point scale (A to E grading scale). The Northern Territory Government agreed to implement student achievement reports that:

  • are provided in writing at least twice a year
  • use plain English that is easily understood by all parents and guardians
  • include A to E grades for Years 1 to Year 10 students in all learning areas taught, assessed and monitored each semester.
What does the A to E grading mean?

The A to E grading will tell you how your child is progressing in a subject against Australian Curriculum and Northern Territory achievement standards for their year level. No matter which NT government school a child attends, the A to E grading will remain consistent.

Does a C grade mean a student's work is only adequate or satisfactory?

A grade of C indicates that your child is working at an expected level against the achievement standards for children of their age and their learning is on track.

Does a D or E mean a student's work is of a poor or extremely poor standard?

Not all students meet the standards expected for their year level. It is common that students may make better progress in some areas than in others. It may also be that while your child is not achieving at the expected level for their age they may have made significant progress in their learning during that semester. If your child receives a D or an E, it is important that you consult your child's teacher and discuss the progress made during the semester.

Will this be the only report a student receives?

As well as the end of semester reports, schools may choose to use a variety of other methods to report to parents about student progress. These could include portfolios of student work, feedback from in-class assessments or projects, emails, commercial assessment results, parent interviews, student-led conferences, open-days and many other forms.

All Year 3, 5, 7 and 9 students will also receive a report on their literacy and numeracy achievement through participation in the National Assessment Program Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN) tests.

Will A to E grades be consistent across all schools?

Teachers across the Territory are working to ensure consistency of their judgments about the achievements of their students. Schools will continue to focus on a process called moderation, which examines students' work at a school level and across schools. Through the moderation processes, teachers review work samples, confirming or modifying judgments made against achievement standards.

Can I find out how my child is progressing compared to others in their year level?

Yes, providing your child's year group contains more than 20 students. For schools with more than 20 students per year level, you will be able to ask for a summary of the number of other children in the same year level who achieved A, B, C, D and E in each aspect of the report.

Information that compares students’ achievements will not be provided where there are fewer than 20 students in a year level due to possible breaches of privacy. Parents will not be able to access any grading of an individual student apart from those of their own child.

My child has a disability and has an Education Adjustment Plan (EAP). Will he/she receive a report that shows A to E achievement levels?

Students with special learning needs who have Education Adjustment Plans will not receive an A to E report unless specifically requested by their parent/guardian. The EAP fulfills the written reporting requirements for those students.

My child is in Preschool or Transition. Will he/she receive an A to E grading?

No. The A to E grading does not apply to students in Preschool or Transition. A to E grades are required for the compulsory years of schooling (Years 1-10) only. Transition students may receive a report that looks like the rest of the school but does not contain A-E grades.

Will English as an Additional Language/Dialect (EAL/D) student receive A to E grades?

EAL/D students will be allocated an Australian Curriculum Phase – Beginning, Emerging, Developing and Consolidating – for their English language progress. However they will receive an A to E grade for English, mathematics and all other subjects taught.

How can I find out more?

Your child's principal or class teacher can provide you with further information.