Programs for international students

Programs for international students

  • intensive English courses
  • primary school (Transition to Year 6)
  • middle school (Year 7 to Year 9)
  • senior high school (Year 10 to Year 12)
  • study abroad
  • dependants of tertiary students
  • temporary residents.

Intensive English courses

CRICOS Course Code 048904G

International students can start their study program with an intensive English course. On arrival, your English language proficiency will be assessed and you will be placed in a course level best suited to your needs.

Primary school (Transition to Year 6)

Intensive English classes are offered at Anula Primary School which is located in Darwin's northern suburbs. The intensive English program focuses on English language acquisition and enhancing the skills of students to learn in English so that they can cope in mainstream classes. A free bus service is provided for students while they attend the Intensive English Unit. 

Middle and senior school (Year 7 to Year 12)

Students who need help with English language before they enter mainstream classes will undertake a tailored program that has been formulated to develop their listening, speaking, reading and writing skills across all subject areas. The program equips students to participate fully in class work and teaches them study skills that will help them to progress through their courses.
The classes are offered at Sanderson Middle School (Years 7-9) and Darwin High School (Years 10-12).

Primary school (Transition to Year 6)

CRICOS Course Code 005341E

The Department of Education provides comprehensive education programs for students in government primary schools from Transition to Year 6. It provides curriculum programs to develop the knowledge, attitudes, skills and processes that promote children's learning and development and prepare them for further schooling.
Students may enrol as:

  • a dependant of an adult undertaking tertiary education in the Northern Territory
  • a dependant of the holder of a visitors visa
  • an independent student.

A student who enrols as an independent student must be living with a relative who complies with Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) requirements. Approved relatives must be aged 21 or over and include: brother, sister, step-parent, step-brother, step-sister, grandparent, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew, step-grandparent, step-aunt, step-uncle, step-niece and step-nephew. Relatives can assume responsibility for the welfare of students aged under 18 by completing the relevant sections of the Student Visa Application Form.

If students require an intensive English studies program, they will need to enrol at Anula Primary School.

If students do not need intensive English assistance, they may enrol at any NT Government primary school that has capacity.

Middle school (Year 7 to Year 9)

CRICOS Course Code 058743D

In the Northern Territory, the middle years of schooling are Years 7 to 9. Schools are guided by the Middle Years of Schooling Principles and Policies Framework (pdf 16.8 kb) to provide students with:

  • access to meaningful and appropriate teaching and learning programs including transition into and out of the middle years
  • opportunities to become engaged in rich, real, relevant and rigorous educational experiences
  • achievement that is moderated and validated against the standards described in the NT Curriculum Framework (NTCF)
  • reading, writing and numeracy assessments through system-wide tests in Year 7 and Year 9.

If students require an intensive English studies program, they will need to enrol at Sanderson Middle School.

Senior school (Year 10 to Year 12)

CRICOS Course Code 058744C

Children in the senior years of schools receive quality education to promote and enhance their intellectual, personal and social development.

If students require an intensive English studies program, they will need to enrol at Darwin High School.

Study Abroad

The Study Abroad program gives students an opportunity to experience the Australian way of life while attending a Northern Territory Government school and staying in homestay accommodation with a local family.

Students can choose from a wide range of subjects and take part in other school activities such as sporting programs

Students undertaking a Study Abroad program would normally be on visitor visas, which allow for study of up to 12 weeks.


Fees are calculated pro rata, based on the normal tuition fee for a full fee paying student. For example, the fee for a student undertaking a 10 week Study Abroad program in Year 10 to 12 would be $250 per week ($2500 total). This excludes Homestay fees. The recommended Homestay fee is $200 per week.

Entry requirements

Applications will be considered on a case by case basis. Students must still be enrolled in school in their home country and intend to return home on the completion of the program. It is expected that students can provide evidence of their level of English language competency.

Dependant students

Dependant students are the school age children of people who hold temporary resident visas.
Usually dependant students must pay the same tuition fees as international students; however, there are some instances where fees are not payable. Following is a summary of the different types of dependant students:

Dependants of tertiary students

Northern Territory Government schools will enrol the dependants of international students undertaking an award course (visa subclass 570, 572, 573 or 574). Dependants are subject to the same tuition fees as full fee paying students. If required, we can issue a student Confirmation of Enrolment to match the duration of the parent's Confirmation of Enrolment.

Visitor visas

Dependants of people who hold Visitor visas (subclass 676) are required to pay tuition fees. They may study for up to 3 months and may be required to undergo a health examination. They should be living with their parents.

Dependants of scholarship holders

The dependants of people who hold AusAID and Australian Defence Force Scholarships are exempt from paying tuition fees. Local school fees still apply. The fees vary and the school will advise you about the fees when you apply.

Dependants of people who hold scholarships in their home countries are subject to international student tuition fees.

Temporary Business (long stay)

Dependants of people who hold Temporary Business (long stay) visas (subclass 457) are exempt from paying international student tuition fees. Local school fees still apply.

Skilled Migration Program

In support of the Northern Territory Government's Business Migration Scheme, the dependants of people who hold the following visa subclasses are exempt from international tuition fees (local school fees still apply):

  • Skilled - Independent Regional (subclass 495)
  • Offshore Skilled - Regional Sponsored (subclass 475)
  • Onshore Skilled - Regional Sponsored (subclass 487)
  • Business Owner (subclass 160)
  • Senior Executive (subclass 161)
  • Investor (Provisional) (subclass 162)
  • State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner (subclass 163)
  • State/Territory Sponsored Senior Executive (subclass 164)
  • State/Territory Sponsored Investor (subclass 165)